Sunday, August 12, 2012

Yet another meaningless rant.


Today I shall continue a rant on West Side Story.

Since I tend have a cynical take on  “love at first sight,”  I believe that  the coveted, overrated relationship between Tony and Maria makes West Side Story significantly less enjoyable.

Maria, our heroine, is portrayed as a naive, frivolous girl. She “falls in love” with Tony, a sexy boy from the other side, retired from his old ways.

Maria and Tony conclude that they “are the same,” by feeling each other’s cold hands. These frigid hands of theirs are apparently the equivalent of eHarmony. Then, Tony and Maria decide that they are deeply in love, so they elope. (Just to make sure we’re on the same page, they determined this based purely on their physical attraction… which was prompted by noting the temperature of their interlaced fingers.)
West Side Story is not about star-crossed lovers, it’s about a couple of confused teenagers who come between more screwed up teenagers, and there are deaths, all because most teenagers don’t think before they act.
That said, I revere the music from West Side Story. I know, I ’m a hypocrite.

No comments:

Post a Comment